Coffee, it’s not only about the caffeine in it but I guess it’s a potion that invigorates your process. It can be an element of impetus that stimulates your brain in a flash. From spilling the beans to smelling them, we’ve done it all. I remember I used to hate coffee as a kid,only for the mere reason that there used to be a bed of cream on it, had I switched off the fan, guess would have gotten hooked to it earlier. But yeah, those were the days of Bournvita, Maltova and growth spurts. Probably, I guess coffee would have tasted better than dipping a toast loaded with Amul butter and gulping it down the throat.
As an Indian, the point of view and smell of coffee changes as we hop states. With 28 states and 6 union territories the opinions that people have are extra terrestrial. From the Latte culture brewing since generations in Pondicherry to the Late burst of coffee culture in the metros, it’s been difficult to be part of a cult. In South they boil it, In west we froth it, In north they cream it and in East they probably sugar-dip it, I don’t know, but I hope there is no Roshogulla dipped coffee and I pray that I don’t come across one.
As I grew from a no-tea boy to a naughty one, a lot had changed then. Life started to get more outdoorsy and so did my thoughts. Shoes changed from sneakers to cricket spikes and now to business formals and so did the foot falls to girl friends house, cricket field and office in that order. What never changed is the smell of a hot coffee mug. Its like friends, especially mallus, you don’t meet them, they happen to you, so does coffee. Coffee did happen to me at 31.
As I moved to Australia with many other things like bees to memories, I also put behind the great Indian Chai shop culture. Had to tame my mind and adapt to something that was knocking my stimulus since some days now and like a lightning before the storm or like an aura before enlightenment, I opened the doors or let me be generous by saying Coffeewelcomed me.
It was my brother that tried a flat white onme one day in Gold coast and my mind had silently raised an eye brow telling myself “what on earth is he feeding me”. I was wrong. When I had the sip of the golden brown in Sydney during my work training, my mind brought the same raised brow down and my tongue gave a smack on my lips providing an exuberant power supply to my brain as I suddenly shouted to my work friends “This is it!”
The news then spread like a forest fire and I planned to be a perpetual catalyst to promote my new romance. Never thought I would fall for a “Flat white” being a Western brown boy. From 2 Rupees a cuppa chai to 4$ a cuppa flatty I have come to terms with this hottie.This time when I was in India I did surprise the world with the new crave. From the boily at home to a hangover beater with friends I did it all. These days I shop with one cuppa in my hand and that’s a great saviour not to hold those shopping bags, makes my girl a strong woman. Reaping benefits you see!
I will end this with a happy thought. “As I write this I have figured out what’s made me falling, oh! Italian barista across my work place I just know that you are calling.
Way to go...Utpal. Good start.
ReplyDeleteThank you Animish.
ReplyDeleteHey Utpal, like I would put it.... Its never wrong to start the right journey!! Glad to see you write keep up and explore! Loved the bit !
ReplyDelete